MyPhone A818 is one of the cheapest Android phone out there. This myPhone Android was out for many months already. I stumbled upon this guide of rooting the myPhone A818 through recovery, it includes how to add a working CWM recovery on the myPhone A818 as well.
Since the previously posted method on rooting the myPhone A818 Duo isnt working to some users, this is a completely different method and I read feedback from the forums that it did worked for them and they now had their myPhone A818 phone finally rooted, using this method.
myPhone A818 Duo Rooting via CWM
By the way, here’s a glimpse on the myPhone A818 specs:
- 3.5 inch HVGA Capacitive Touchscreen, 320×480 pixel resolution
- 650 MHz processor
- 191MB internal storage, expandable via microSD up to 16GB
- Android 2.3 Gingerbread
- Dual Sim / Dual Standby, no 3G
- 3.2 MP primary camera, with front facing VGA camera
I do not know how much this A818 costs nowadays, as per there were already lots of newer myPhone Android units that surfaced the local market. But still, I just wish this post will help those myPhone A818 owners who want to root and install CWM recovery on their devices.
Again, to save us from the same questions that are being asked all over and over again, here are some FAQs especially for the newbies and those not-so-techie people in the Android world:
- What is Rooting and its benefits? —its like jailbreaking but its your Android phone, unlocking the capabilities of your Android device with the apps and tweaks that requires root access to the Android system. Its not necessary but if time came and you realized that you need to root your phone, then it must be it.
- What is CWM recovery? – cwm is short for clock work mod recovery. All Android phones have recovery mode already but clock work mode is better and you can do more with CWM, like installing patches, updates, and tweaks on your device.
Then let’s proceed to the process, full credits to sir SuperGuko of symb.ph. He’s an active sharer of such stuff especially for those local Android phones. Kudos to you sir for being an active dev, dedicated to help local Android phone users.
Disclaimer: Do this at your own risk. Honestly, there isnt really a risk on bricking your phone if you just read thoroughly and follow the said steps carefully.
Rooting myPhone A818
First, you must download these files:
myPhone A818 flashing guide via SP Flash Tool
Once the drivers are properly installed and the SP Flash Tool is already extracted and accessible, turn off your myPhone A818 and remove its battery.
Run SP Flash Tool.
Click the Scatter-loading button and navigate to the downloaded MT6573_Android_scatter.txt file.
Be sure that the RECOVERY is the only one selected, click on it and browse on the downloaded recoveryNonTouch.img file.
Click the Download button and just ignore the warnings.
Attach the battery again and connect the phone, be sure not to turn it on yet.
Wait for the process to complete. You will see a Green Circle with a label saying download okay. Normally, this process doesnt takes too much time and not more than 5 minutes as you were just writing a small-size recovery.img file.
How to enter into CWM recovery
Be sure that your phone is turned off.
Press Volume up + Volume down and power button until a set of choices appears then just press the up button to enter recovery.
With the CWM recovery, you can easily make a full back-up of your phone. This is as well called as Nandroid back-up. Just be sure you have enough storage on your SD card. Just select Select backup and restore, then choose back up and wait for it to finish.
How to root myPhone A818
- Copy the RootA818.zip file on your SD card.
- Enter CWM recovery.
- Select install zip from sdcard, choose zip from sdcard, then locate RootA818.zip.
- Select Reboot system now.
To know verify if the rooting process is a success, look for the SuperUser app in your drawer, or just check root access with the Root Checker app from the PlayStore.
Feedback if it works for you and if you had no success on the older method I posted last June.
Search terms: myphone a818 duo custom rom, rooting a858, tm internet hack samsung galaxy y, how to unlock my phone a818 duo, root my phone a858 duo, how to upgrade myphone a818, my phone a818 duo opera mini no need root, root a818 duo rom, umadbro logo, cwm recovery myphone a818