Here’s the tutorial for rooting the O+ 8.7/Oplus 8.7. It runs on Android 2.3.6 which means using the SuperOneClick or UnlockRoot methods wont work straight away due to the secured boot.img. A good thing is, someone had already unsecured this boot.img for O+ 8.7 and shared it.
A quick look at the system phone information of the O+ 8.7:
- Hardware : MT6575
- Model : O+_8.7_Android
- Build number : Oplus_A100ALPS.GB2.MP.V2
- Build date UTC : 20120706-085741
- Android v : 2.3.6
- Baseband v: MAUI.11AMD.W11.50.SP.V13.P1, 2012/04/27 18:49
- Kernel v : 18.104.22.168 (queen@xyw2) (gcc version 4.4.3 (GCC) ) #1 Fri Jul 6 16:56:36 CST 2012
Obtaining the boot.img and unsecuring it is a bit complicated stuff, but thanks to sir arielanne of symb.ph for doing all the work and sharing this rooting tutorial for the O+ 8.7 which he already done with his own Oplus 8.7 device. [source]
First, you need to download these files:
- MTK Preloader Drivers
- the unsecured O+ 8.7 boot.img (extract it from the RAR file)
- MT6573_Android_scatter.txt (even if the O+ 8.7 is a MT6575 device, dont mind this)
- SP_Flash_Tool_v2.1134.00 – this is used to flashed the new boot.img, you’ll load the scatter file on this app
- the stock boot.img – in case problem occurs, you can revert to the old
- SuperOneClick – used for rooting
DISCLAIMER: Do at your own risk.
- First, install the drivers.
- On your device, be sure to enable USB debugging (Settings > Applications > Development) then turn off your O+ 8.7 phone.
- Run SP FLash Tool, click on scatter loading and browse for the MT6573_Android_scatter.txt file
- On the SP Flash Tool, after loading the scatter file, click on the BOOT section and browse for the unsecured boot.img you had extracted
- Then click on DOWNLOAD. Connect your phone and wait for the process to finish. There will be a green circle saying “OK” once successful.
- After you had successfully changed your stock boot.img, you can now proceed on rooting the phone. In this case, using SuperOneClick does the trick. Just be sure you had already have the ADB drivers (use Moborobo if you have problems with drivers), and click the ROOT button.
- Wait for the process to finish and you’re good.
Dont mind the numberings on the screenshots. Enjoy your rooted O+ 8.7!Search terms: how to root O 8 7, galaxy 3 samsung chinos